Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another Op'ning, Another Show

Auditions are coming up again soon, and as a director, I often wish I could sit down with the hopefuls and tell them what I'm looking for, give a few pointers. Theater is so subjective. You can get passed over for any number of reasons and none of them are fair. So, I thought this may be a forum for sharing my perspective on some of those ideas.


I'm involved in community theater, that much maligned beast of dinner shows and shoestring budgets. But, I am a fan of it. I totally believe it has great value for the performer and the audience. People like to create, and some of the crazier among us do it in front of a live audience. But, it really isn't so different from the photographer, the gardener or the gourmet cook. We make something that wasn't there before and share a little of ourselves with others. It's just that most people don't do it with spotlights on and expect applause at the end.


First, a little background about me. For as long as I can remember, I have loved theater. On stage and off, I have been involved on a volunteer basis in different venues and cities. I am not a professional. I have acted, directed, sewn costumes, done sound editing, choreography and music direction. I'm a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none," but this has given me a perspective on many different aspects of local theater. I would have a hard time limiting myself to just one aspect of production, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be directing. I'll use this blog to share my ideas on shows, production processes, and maybe even reviews of shows I see. And I won't expect applause at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment